Saturday, January 31, 2009

CentOS

Dell Vostro 1510 Laptop

Last few days, I installed CentOS Linux into my Dell Vostro 1510 laptop. Initially I intended to install Redhat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) Version 5 but I didn't. Why did I opt for CentOS over the other Linux distribution? It was mainly because I just followed my friend advice who was expert in Linux. He said that CentOS Kernel was exactly same and compatible to Redhat Enterprise Linux version. Some more it was completely free and allowed users to make Linux update. It was my first time to install linux into my own laptor with dual boot system.

Prepare to install CentOS

What are the steps?
  1. First, download the latest CentOS ISO file (4.2Gbytes) from www.centos.org, choosing x86_64.
  2. After that burn the ISO file into DVD.
  3. Of course, have to make sure there are free space in my harddisk. I allocated about 40Gbytes for that.
  4. Put the DVD into DVD rom and restart my laptop. (have to make sure that the first boot is using DVD rom instead of hard disk. You may choose it in BIOS setup)
  5. then the start up screen will be appeared. press enter to proceed.
  6. To test the DVD, you can skip it if you are sure that the DVD is workable
  7. Choose language...
  8. Choose "use free space on selected drives and create default layout" to install if you do not plan to customize harddisk (the easiest method)
  9. then just click on forward button... pretty easy in fact.. along the way, the system will ask you to insert root password
Welcome page (1st time log in)

My CentOS desktop

After that, I have to modify a file in /etc/boot/grub/grub.conf so that I can make my laptop dual boot. To do so, I have to be root user (type su in terminal).



Have fun :)

No comments: